Tuesday, March 25, 2014

ELA NEWS


Dear Students,

I have been  so impressed with your "independent" reading efforts this year. Many of you have reached my 40 Book challenge to you!  Congratulations!  You have accomplished a lot as a reader by doing this.  Now...several of you are soooooo close and I believe you will reach this milestone.  Trust me, your reading assessments show this!!  AND several have exceeded far beyond the challenge and are approaching 50, 60, 70, and even 80 books this year!!!!


I am planning a bulletin board display to recognized your accomplishments and will begin putting this display together soon.

However, not to be a negative nanny here,  but I have noticed a significant drop in reading efforts in the last 2 weeks.  Many are reading only the partial required 30 minutes at home.  Some of you have stalled.  If I do not see wide reading AND consistent reading every night for 30 minutes, you will score a partial or does not meet (80 or 75  or 70).  If you do not agree with your most recent IRP (Independent Reading Grade), please come visit me during study hall and we'll talk.

I close this letter by sharing with you that the BEST predictor of high reading achievement is the amount of reading one does and the best predictor of a great vocabulary is the wide reading we do!!

Sincerely,
Mrs. Leighton

Visit me on Goodreads.com.  I would love to be a reading "friend."

No comments:

Post a Comment